Monday, December 3, 2012

Don't say good bye to Mack so quickly....

Losing the last two games on of the season have been disappointing for Longhorn fans. With the Big 12 Championship actually within reach, hopes and expectation were high. But with the first possession of the Texas v. TCU Thanksgiving game as David Ash threw a interception within feet of the end-zone, the sound of hearts breaking in DRK Memorial Stadium was almost deafening.

It was at that moment I knew Ash would not be able to recover and I was more than right. He followed up with another interception and a fumble. Texas couldn't move the ball and while their defense did everything they could, offense just couldn't get it together.

Going into Kansas State this most recent Saturday, I didn't even bother watching the game. Why watch a train wreck when I could take a nap instead. And that's exactly what I did. I was surprised to hear we were actually up at half-time but I knew it was only a fluke. Not to sound pessimistic; I'm just a realist.

Following the game my Facebook news feed blew up with anti-Mack Brown status updates saying he should be fired or forced to take the position of Athletic Director, a position pretty much guaranteed to him for several years now. I responded with my own status and thoughts about Mack Brown's coaching future:

"Everyone looking to fire Mack let me point something out to you. DKR won us a championship in 1963, went 10-1 the following year but didn't win the SWC. From '64 to '67 our record was 6-4, 7-4, 6-4 respectively. It took us until 1968 to come back and win the SWC and then we went to win back to back national championships the following two years. Now I'm not saying Mack is DKR by any means. But I am saying that we should take a deep breath and count to ten before anyone is fired. We're all frustrated but getting rid of Mack isn't going to solve any of our problems over night. We have a young team that still has a lot to learn and a coaching staff that is still getting use to each other/finding their right flow together. It takes a team to win and a team to lose. One person can't do either alone. So calm down and hook 'em horns."

 Source: Rumors and Rants

I got a lot of positive feedback but some people still feel as though it's Mack's time to resign and become the new Athletic Director. My only question to those people is what makes you think that a new coach can turn this team around any faster than Mack Brown? We only have three starting seniors that are graduating, and we are tied with TCU with the most true freshman getting playing time at 16 players. Those statistics are ridiculous. Kansas State will be graduating basically their entire starting line on defense and offense. I can guarantee you next year they will not go 11-1.

My last thought to leave with you all is to remember that sports teams cycle. Incoming freshman want playing time and to be on the field so they're not going to commit to a school that will only give the one, maybe two years on the field. Thus teams will start with lots of new players whether they be true freshman or are red-shirted for a year. Then the team matures, they get good, and they win. Then the cycle starts all over again. Rarely is a team National Championship worthy multiple years in a row now-a-days. So like I said, "...calm down and hook 'em horns."




No comments:

Post a Comment